STUCK IN A RUT – UNHAPPY MARRIAGES
Millions of people in the UK are stuck in an unhappy marriage but cannot walk away due to the fear of emotional and financial hardship, a recent survey has revealed.
The study, commissioned by lawyers Slater & Gordon, found that out of the 2,000 married couples interviewed, over one fifth felt ‘trapped’ and could not divorce due to the financial insecurities.
Over 25% of Respondents were no longer ‘in love’ with their partners and 15% even go as far to say that they wish they had married someone else!
Top 10 reasons for putting off divorce include:
- Not sure I have the courage
- I might regret it
- I’m hoping things will improve
- It would have too big an impact on the family/ need to stay together for the kids
- I wouldn’t be able to sustain myself financially
- I wouldn’t want to leave my home or have to sell the family house
- I’m too old to walk away now
- I would feel guilty leaving them
- I’m scared to be on my own
- I’m worried about being lonely
Claire of Vines legal commented on the research saying “Divorce should obviously be the last course of action that couples take, but this survey demonstrates hundreds of couples are staying together regardless of being happy, which is very sad to hear”
If you are experiencing relationship issues and would like to discuss your position with our friendly team in Chesterfield, call Vines Legal on 01246 555 610.
By Claire Clark on 12 Aug 2013, 16:11 PM