Vines Legal Logo

Vines Legal Limited

Matrimonial & Family Law Specialists

Progressive • Dedicated • Persistent

Call today for your free initial, no obligation, consultation on 01246 555 610 for immediate, friendly and professional advice.

Dos and Don’ts of your initial consultation

Meeting a family solicitor for the first time can be a big deal. When preparing for the initial consultation, there are a few “Dos and Don’ts” that will make it a lot less stressful for you, resulting in a more constructive meeting for both you and your solicitor. Here are some of our suggested Dos and Dont’s:



  1. Bring a family member or friend with you that will make you feel comfortable and support you. This can be a challenging time for you and we completely understand if you bring along a friend or family member for emotional support and another pair of ears.


  1. Come prepared with all necessary details and facts, we will need information relating to you and your relationship, such as dates of birth, the date of your marriage and the date of your separation. We will also need information relating to property, pensions and financial accounts. Having as much information as possible will help us to give you more specific advice.


  1. Make a list of questions to ask. No question is a stupid question. We are here to help you.



  1. Turn up to the appointment late. Turning up late may result in a shorter time and you may not get the opportunity to discuss everything.


  1. Withhold information, even if it is embarrassing. We need to know the full information to provide you with the appropriate advice. Withholding this will only make things more difficult for us to do our jobs.


  1. Equally, by the same token do not exaggerate information as this will also make it harder for us to do our jobs. We need honest answers to be able to give you the best advice and representation.


Get in Touch
If you need any advice, we offer a FREE initial meeting, Click here to book in today!

By Vines Legal: Family Solicitors, Chesterfield on 14 May 2018

Continue reading

Domestic Abuse and Addiction in Children Cases

Engaging a family Solicitor may be necessary if your children are in danger. In domestic abuse and addiction situations, you may try to protect your children from what is really happening by playing it down or not talking about it.

The truth is that most children are aware of the abuse. As many as 90% of children are in the same room or in the next room when domestic abuse occurs. According to, in households where there is ongoing domestic violence, 50% of children are also being directly abused by the same person.

Understandably people who are victims of this abuse hope it will stop and want to try to keep the peace. It is important however to bear in mind that continuing to remain in an abusive situation can result in a significant risk for yourself and any children involved.

Contact your Family Solicitor

Remedies available to you could be to involve the police and/or getting the protection of the legal system. This is where a solicitor can help. You should tell your solicitor if the other party has threatened you, hurt you physically or sexually, controlled or isolated you or has behaved in an emotionally abusive way towards you.

In an event where the police are unable to help then your solicitor will be able to advise you about getting an injunction, which would prevent further abuse or remove the other party from your home.

Your solicitor can also advise you about making arrangements for your children and the other party spending time together that do not expose either you or the children to these risks.

Get in touch with vines legal today for further advice.



If you need any advice then we offer a FREE initial meeting, call us on 01246 555610 to book in today!

By Emma Newman on 25 Apr 2018

Continue reading

True or False?

Here at Vines Legal we always try to help our customers in every way possible.  One way we can help you is by settling some of the rumours and myths that surround divorce.  Vines Legal are expert family solicitors and have a wealth of knowledge on all legal matters relating to the family and divorce.
True or False?

A Decree Absolute (or final divorce decree) means that you can’t claim financially against your ex husband or wife.

FALSE!! The Decree Absolute dissolves the marriage, it does not prevent either party claiming financially against the other provided they don’t remarry.

There is no time limit in respect of making a financial claim against an ex-spouse, even after the final order of the divorce (Decree Absolute) has been granted. Even once you have the final order of the divorce – the Decree Absolute – it is still open for either of you to make a financial claim, no matter how many years may have passed since your divorce.

It should be noted, however, that the court will look at the length of time that has elapsed when considering a claim.

It is essential that clients sort out their financial affairs during their divorce to avoid future claims and unpleasant surprises.

If you need any advice for divorce or financial issues then we offer a FREE initial meeting, call us on 01246 555 610  to book in today!

By Emma Newman on 25 Apr 2018

Continue reading

Divorce Hour

January is the busiest month for couples filing for divorce.  It's almost as though Christmas was the very last straw. This short article shows the peak times for a divorce.

A recent study showed that the busiest time for divorce enquiries online was between 12:30 am and 1 am. 45% of overnight enquiries came in between 10 pm and midnight, and 24% were between 3 am and 6 am.

Tracey Moloney, Head of Family Law at Co-op Legal Services, said:

"We are seeing more enquiries late at night - I don't know if it's because they just want to make some enquiries without their partner knowing or if it's because they are anxious and can't sleep.”

Harry Benson, of the Marriage Foundation, said:

"Having a smartphone by the bed undoubtedly allows us to execute decisions at unusual hours, for better or worse."

Are you thinking about filing for divorce or have any enquiries? Why not pop into our office for a free consultation, call today on 01246 555610.

By Administrator on 14 Feb 2018

Continue reading

Married - Unmarried

Here at Vines Legal, we speak to many couples on a daily basis. Common questions people ask about are the rights of cohabitees in comparison to the rights of married people. People are often surprised by what the find out..

A recent survey carried out by Resolution showed that two-thirds of cohabiting couples in England and Wales had no idea that there is no such thing as a ‘common law marriage’.

Also, 75% believed that there should be greater legal protection for unmarried couples upon separation.

Cohabitees have rights, but what are they?

The number of cohabiting, unmarried couples living together has more than doubled in the last 21 years. There were 1.5 million in 1996 and there are now (2017) 3.3 million.

Four in five cohabitants agreed that the legal rights when they separate are unclear and 84% believe that the government should ensure unmarried couples are aware that they do not have the same legal protection as married couples.

Here are some of the examples of how married and unmarried couples differ when separating:


  • If an unmarried couple has not taken the necessary steps to protect their financial positions when purchasing property then one could find themselves excluded from any share of the family home.

  • Unmarried couples who separate do not have a right to have a share in their partner’s income despite the fact that they may not be working or have any ability to work.

  • If a cohabiting partner dies without making a will, their partner will not be entitled to any part of their estate.


If you’re cohabiting and want to take the necessary steps to protect your future position, then call us on 01246 555610 to talk to one of our solicitors and book in for a free consultation.

By Emma Newman on 22 Dec 2017

Continue reading

Parental Alienation

CAFCASS (Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service) are currently trialling a “ground-breaking” process that will prevent parental alienation which means divorcing parents could be denied contact with their child if they attempt to turn them against their previous partner.

CAFCASS have recently realised that parental alienation occurred in a significant number of the 125,000 cases they dealt with yearly and is estimated to be present in 11% - 15% of divorces involving children. This is increasing.

As of spring 2018, caseworkers of CAFCASS will be given new procedures which will make clear exactly when children should be removed from the alienating parent and placed with the target parent. When caught alienating, the contact between the parent and child could be restricted or refused for a number of months and in most extreme cases, the parent could be permanently banned from any contact with their child.

Sarah Parsons, the Assistant Director of CAFCASS, has advised that their “priority is to preserve the relationship with both parents”.

Is your partner attempting to alienate you out of your child’s life? For help with any problems regarding your child or former partner, please call us on 01246 555610 for our friendly, helpful advice.

By Administrator on 30 Nov 2017

Continue reading

Why it is important to use a family law firm which is regulated by the SRA

SRA stands for Solicitors’ Regulation Authority. The SRA are responsible for monitoring solicitors’ firms to make sure they are complying with the regulations and Accounts Rules (handling client money). They also investigate complaints against solicitors.

Some people advertise their services to make it seem that they are solicitors but they do not hold the required qualifications and the regulation of the SRA. Always take care to check who you are appointing. If they are holding themselves out as a solicitor, they need to be regulated by the SRA.

You wouldn’t go to a person holding themselves out as a doctor or dentist without the relevant qualifications and regulations so why take the risk with your legal affairs?

Vines Legal are regulated by the SRA, call 01246 555 610 for a free consultation today.

By Emma Newman on 27 Nov 2017

Continue reading

The Countries with the Highest Divorce Rates

In 2016, a study was completed to find out which countries had the highest rate of divorce. Here are the results:


The Maldives is number one with 10.97 per 1,000 inhabitants getting divorced annually. Most believe that the number is so high because premarital sex is taboo and so a lot of couples marry young.


Conversely, Russia’s divorce rate is 4.5 per 1,000 inhabitants, however most couples in Russia also get married young.


Aruba’s divorce rate is very close to Russia’s with 4.4 per 1,000 inhabitants getting divorces.


The divorce rate here is 4.1 per 1,000 inhabitants.

United States

And finally, America is number five with a rate of 3.6 per 1,000 inhabitants getting divorced yearly. Some believe this is because ‘no fault’ divorces are legal in the USA and so it is easier to get a divorce here than other parts of the world, such as the UK.

If you are going through a divorce and need some help, then just call us on 01246 555610 and we can book you in for a FREE consultation.

By Emma Newman on 27 Nov 2017

Continue reading

Scary Halloween Facts!

Halloween is finally here so here are 3 spooky facts:

  1. A study once showed that Halloween can actually make children naughtier! According to APA (American Psychological Association) children between the ages of 9 and 13 wearing Halloween masks were considerably more likely than the unmasked children to take more candy than they were told to when left alone in a room with a bowl of sweets!
  2. Jack o’ Lantern’s used to be made out of turnips, beetroot and potatoes not pumpkins, see the picture below to see just how much creepier these looked.
  3. The tradition of dressing up on Halloween originated with the Celts during Samhain. During the festival they dressed up as ghosts and evil spirits to hide from real demons and spirits that they believed to wander and roam their streets.

By Emma Newman on 30 Oct 2017

Continue reading

Tips for Halloween after divorce


As children love Halloween, it may be hard to sort out a Halloween plan if you and the other parent are no longer together. So we’ve put together a couple of tips and tricks to help you through this scary time:

  • First of all one of the most important things is to discuss the ideas/plans you have with your ex and your child! This way time can be shared equally and plans can be sorted and agreed on.
  • If you decide to spend Halloween together then it is best to keep the topic of divorce and separation to a minimum as this will most likely be stressful and uncomfortable for your child.
  • This is a fact for all parents: always make sure to check your child’s sweets and treats and keep an eye on them if walking down busy roads!

If you’re going through a divorce or thinking about divorce then we can help! Come to Vines Legal for a FREE initial meeting – call 01246 555 610 to book in now!

By Emma Newman on 30 Oct 2017

Continue reading

There are 115 items on 12 pages.